The Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Corporation is a non-profit corporation, governed by an independent Board of Directors. The Corporation was formed in January 2016 through the Unanimous Membership Agreement by the Cities of Regina and Moose Jaw, which have jointly owned the Plant since 1955.
The Corporation’s mission is to provide a reliable and affordable supply of safe, high-quality drinking water which meets the needs and expectations of consumers in the Cities of Regina and Moose Jaw, and surrounding regions.
The Plant has been a leader in the delivery of safe, high-quality drinking water for the past 20 years. It has received numerous Water Quality Awards and has made significant progress in improving the quality of water provided to its customers. In fact, it was one of the first plants to pioneer the use of the Granular Activated Carbon filtration process for the removal of algae-produced taste and odour. The Corporation’s quality water successes are due in large part to the water treatment expertise of its employees.
While a past leader in the delivery of high quality water, the Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Corporation has exceeded the projected life of water treatment plants, and is now in need of upgrading and renewal to ensure the continued delivery of sufficient high quality water to its customers.
The Corporation has begun planning a Plant Renewal Project which will augment or replace the existing water treatment processes and the physical Plant. The Project will: help to address the increasing challenges faced in treating the lake water; ensure the Plant can meet current and future regulatory requirements; ensure the long-term viability of the Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Plant; and, ensure a reliable supply of potable water long into the future.
By addressing aging infrastructure issues the Renewal project will fulfill the Corporation’s mandate for generations to come.
The Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Plant provides water to approximately 260,000 customers in the Cities of Regina, Moose Jaw and surrounding regions. Additional water customers include SaskWater and the Buffalo Pound Provincial Park.
The Plant was commissioned in 1955 and has undergone three major capacity and process improvements since its original construction.
It is located approximately thirty kilometres northeast of the City of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, on Highway No. 301, seventeen kilometres north of the intersection with Highway No. 1.